Saturday 7 March 2009

'Hidden Florida' at last and an induction into the Conch Republic Navy











Key West
Saturday Night

After last night's splendid dinner with Finnbar and Julie, I wake as refreshed as I have in three weeks of travelling. But I don't have a long time to linger. Neal and Susan from next door are picking me up to go on a boat trip which promises much. So, there's not much time to enjoy the excellent breakfast at the Ambrosia before the appointed hour. But Susan is taking time over her hair, which benefits Amy the Ambrosia cat, who I am planning to catnap if nobody is looking. But while Amy dutifully purrs while Ben at reception chats to Neal, it's quite clear that our relationship is going nowhere.
I've checked out Captain Victoria Impallomeni's website (www.captainvictoria.com) and I am a little bit sceptical. Coming from a seafaring family, Floridian Vicky has salt water coursing through her veins. But I've done so much eco tourism stuff recently, that I have had a long chat with her beforehand to ensure we'll both get something out of the day. As Neal drives, Susan works out how best to pin her hair back for the boat trip.
Vicky has invited two couples to join myself and Art, her partner, on the trip from Murray's Marina, five miles north of Key West. With a 200 horsepower engine, the Imp II speeds through the turquoise water at an impressive fifty miles an hour. I'm impressed at how the Captain steers the boat expertly through some pretty narrow and shallow channels while Art, another salty sea-dog, regales the passengers with some pretty incredible local seafarers' tales.
It's when we get to Boca Grande, an island 12 miles from Key West, that i realise that my search for the 'Hidden Florida' has finally been realised. We've only been nosed into a channel into a mangrove swamp for moments when Vicky spots a Mangrove snappeer fish who has got his head trapped in the tree roots. She lifts him out and he swims away, none the worse for his ordeal.
Vicky leads us on a wonderful walk along the beach. Susan is collecting 'treasure' and we all end up carrying bags stuffed full of shells, seaweed and assorted pretty objects.
Vicky's knowledge of the flora and fauna is truly astonishing. she just appears not only to know the answers but importantly, why things are as they are.
But she keeps his party trick for our return trip. She stops the boat and, with the motor which raises the outboard engine, makes a few low frequency sounds which are carried into the water. Within moments, a pod of Dolphin come to say hello. Vicky even has special marine loudspeakers mounted into the hull and plays music that she believes can attract the dolphin to her boat.
It's a truly special day. Boca Grande is spectacular and it's been a real privilege to have been taken there. But it's been pretty windy travelling at high speed and Susan's hair is a mess.
But there's another big surprise. Finnbar, the First Sea Lord of the Conch Republic Navy, has decided that I am to be inducted into the force as a Captain, as a flotilla commander, and as an envoy to the Spanish Navy. A ceremony is held on the dockside next door to the flagship in which I have to swear allegiance. After 38 years full time service with the Royal Navy and Reserve, it's a fitting extension to my long association with the sea. As a bonus, Susan's agreed to be my mate and I have agreed to make no more jokes about her hair.
We adjourn to the Hogfish, a local Stock Island hostelry (another little 'Hidden Florida' gem) for drinks and a celebration lunch, there's just time for a quick swim back at the Ambrosia before sunset at Mallory Square.
As I drove into Key West, I really did wonder why I was spending three nights here. The approaches are gaudy and run down, Highway One is no fun at all.
But now I don't want to go. Yes, there are parts of Duval Street which are tourist tat at their absolute worst.
But the locals have bent over backwards to really help me discover that there is a lot more to the area than that image presents.
It's been a rare insight into the people and the place and it's been truly special.
Now I'm part of the fleet command structure, they want me back for the Pirates in Paradise Festival in the Autumn and something else in the Spring.
Now THAT's a welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment